Welcome to ORC
ONCOLOGY RESEARCH CENTER
a multi-disciplinary group in which basic, translational and clinical investigators from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) and UZ Brussel collaborate.
The Oncology Research Centre (ORC) provides the opportunity to combine different expertises, conduct studies and share information in the field of oncology. These opportunities optimize and facilitate basic-, pre-clinical-, translational-, psychosocial, clinical- and public health research being performed by scientists at the ORC.
- Share information about current and future research projects.
- Coordinate collaboration and foster interactions between members of the cluster.
- Facilitate external contacts.
- Optimize the utilization of common resources and technology platform.
- Integrate expertise and efforts of the participating groups to achieve a centre of expertise in the VUB/UZ.
- Establish state-of-the art technology platforms that facilitate basic- and translational cancer research.
- Accelerate and maximize access to innovative treatments for the cancer patients.
To advance scientific knowledge in the field of oncology for the benefit of the patients.
For research and development of sustainable cancer treatments. Thanks to the legacies of Noë and De Smedt
New application in academic year 2017-2018
The End-of-Life Care Research Group conducts high-quality scientific research in end-of-life care in Belgium and across Europe.
Medical and Molecular Oncology
Laboratory of Medical and Molecular Oncology (LMMO) comprises a clinical Department of Medical Oncology of the Oncologisch Centrum UZ Brussel and Laboratory of Molecular Oncology in the Faculty of Medicine. The aim of the group is to help advance targeted therapies for cancer in genomically defined patients (personalized medicine).
The main goal of the ongoing research activities at the laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Therapy (LMCT) is to develop an integrated partnership between immunotherapy and conventional cancer treatment. Innovative immuno-modulatory and immuno-therapeutic strategies are being tested in preclinical models and translated towards clinical applications in phase I/II trials.
Translational Radiation Oncology, supportive care and Physics (TROP)
Radiotherapy is one of the treatment methods offered within Oncology besides surgery and chemotherapy. It is a multidisciplinary discipline which is subject to the highest safety, accuracy and precision standards. Thanks to the on-going introduction of breakthrough innovation, the Radiotherapy Department at UZ Brussel is able to offer the highest quality and most advanced hi-tech treatments to patients.